Why is it so hard to answer the question?

Why is it so hard to answer the question "Why do you do what you do?" I just finished watching a documentary called "What about me" and a wise old lady in it made the following statement: "It is only in wealthy nations that people don't know what to do with their lives". Do you agree or disagree with this statement and why? By the way, I highly recommend the film "What about me". It hasn't been released in the US yet but is a major hit in the UK and Australia... it combines music and philosophy in a almost perfect blend of mixed harmony.. and touches upon a lot of deep issues concerning life. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZgW7Jv74E

You need to be a member of wdydwyd? to add comments!

Join wdydwyd?

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with the old lady. People from poor countries live their lives based on survival. The reason they do what they do is to feed all the mouths in their household and make it to the next day. What about us, the citizens of wealthy nations? We don't need to worry about these issues because we all have the money and supplies we need to simply ignore them. It's because of this that we have time to think about things that aren't necessary for survival. You take away a person's need to address a necessity, and all that is left is their desire to keep themselves entertained. Think about it: do we really need to know our purpose in life to wake up in the morning?
  • To a certain extent, I feel the reason why people in wealthy countries don't know what to do with their lives because there are more options for them. In poor countries, people spend so much effort on just trying to survive that they do not have the luxury of being able to have full control of their destinies. In wealthier countries, there are more jobs, more opportunities, and more choices for people, which can often leave them indecisive of their futures.
  • It is hard to answer that question because, when do people really spend time to look at their flaws. Maybe they know they have it but don't want to face the problem. Or, if it is something good, maybe they automatically think it is a regular thing they do and it isn't special to them anymore. People don't always see their own flaws or even their good flaws unless they have the time to think about it. I don't necessarily agree with the statement the old lady made, but it is true in some cases. Many people in wealthy nations just go past the fact that they don't have it as bad as other people and they just continue on with their own lives. Wealthy nations have the most options. There are so many things for people in wealthy nations to do, be, make, etc. But in the less wealthy nations, the people have to limit their dreams and goals in order to just get by every day. I guess i do agree then >_<</body>
  • Personally I believe that in developing and underdeveloped nations, people do things simply to survive, making sure they have access to clean water, food, and proper sanitation everyday. They have less time for leisurely activities and to question what they do. They do what they do simply because they have no other option. Although they can express themselves in forms of art, dance, or music, art is considered to be a leisurely activity. Unlike artists in the US who can make somewhat of a substantial living off their art forms, this type of profession is nearly impossible in underdeveloped nations. In the United States, we have the privilege of enriching our lives with a blend of different cultures, art forms, sports, and other interests, and such a broad option of what to study based on our personal interests. That is why I believe it is so hard for us to answer the question " Why do you do what you do".
This reply was deleted.

unique visitors