Personal Prep List

I created this check list for Katie... but it might be useful for everyone. There are many check lists for BM online, and everyone has their own versions.
Basics
> Baby wipes a must
> Cheap bike with decorations to make it obviously yours – mountain bikes work best due to surface of the playa
> Easy-to-lock bike lock
> Bike Light for front and back (OK to tape or zip-tie flashlights and bring batteries) - bring extra batteries
> You want to be able to see and be seen in the dark – on your bike and walking around
> Soft seat for your booty if you don’t ride bikes often (I duct tape a little pillow to my seat)
> Sunscreen (I like alcohol based since it can be hot when applied) & lip protection
> 1.5 - 2 gallons of water per day per person in minimum 1 gallon size containers (less waste)
> Tarp, tent & heavy stakes – ideally one you can stand up in plus store your stuff while you are sleeping in it
> Sleeping bag + inflatable mattress or memory foam pad will help you sleep on the hard surface of the playa
> Goggles & small scarf to keep with you when out on the playa in case of a white-out
> Wax ear plugs, mask, Ambien or other sleep aid so you can sleep into the warm hours after staying up late
> Camelbak – staying hydrated and keeping water with you at all times key
> Gatorade mix and/or Emergen-C – makes water that gets warm taste better so you’ll keep drinking constantly
> Safety pins, duct tape & don’t Zip Ties – they solve most problems at Burning Man
> Alcohol not a great idea given the climate
> Small Backpack that is easy to ride and can be worn over costumes
> Lantern or flashlight for inside your tent & extra batteries
Costumes
> No feathers, glitter, boas, little beads or anything that leads to MOOP
> All costumes should be wearable on a bike (long dresses don’t work very well)
> Generally, people don’t wear branded costumes (e.g. Wonder Woman)
> Sparkly, shiny costumes are fun, especially at night
> Daytime costumes: airy, light Night time: temperature can be 40-50, always pretty chilly by 3 or 4AM
> Extra large Ziplocs a great way to keep costumes organized
> At least one really warm fun coat is good to have – faux fur is a good way to go
> A fun scarf and warm hat – I like having a headlamp – it can be used to spotlight oneself, or to see others
> Glow sticks, LED Lights, LED Wire (www.extremeglow.com)
> Comfortable shoes – they will be dust colored in minutes, so comfort is more important than looks
> Boots are good as they keep the dust off your feet – you can spray paint to get a fun color
> Playa dust is hard on feet - If you wear sandals – wear socks
> Some bling and fun make-up – good to have altogether in a plastic bag
> Mirror for prep
Food
> You’ll eat half of what you think you’ll eat. Temperature and dryness of the air acts as an appetite suppressant.
> Take your food out of the packaging before packing whenever possible to reduce trash.
> Perishables will perish quickly. EZ Cheese is your friend.
> Bottled Starbucks lattes – one of the few items we keep on ice
> Soy milk in individually wrapped containers & cereal (the kind that doesn’t require refrigeration)
> Cooler
> Pre-packaged tuna & crackers
> Peanut butter & bread
> Salty snacks, granola bars, things that are quick and easy
> Bottled fruit (e.g. peaches)
> A way to boil water or cook food – though I find that cooking is my last priority when so much else to explore
> Trash bags + a mesh bag good for drying out wet stuff (e.g. orange peels)
Gifts & Participation
> It is nice to have little gifts for people you encounter (e.g. fortune cookies, gum, blinking lights, glow sticks, stickers, fake tattoos – just try to avoid anything that would easily become litter)
> Pen & paper to write down times/locations for parties, or contact info of people you meet

You need to be a member of wdydwyd? to add comments!

Join wdydwyd?

Email me when people reply –

unique visitors